Thursday, June 2, 2011

3...2...1....Activate Body Potential! Part 2

Part 2 of my Activate Body Potential series....was my first one-on-one workout with Ben. Starting with a detailed description of exactly what I could expect from the program and making sure that our communication was open throughout the process, we composed my profile. Ben reviewed my health history, any physical limitations or concerns, and what I wanted to get out of the program. What i loved was how Ben made sure that we were on the same page. Like when i said I wanted to be healthy, toned and have more energy, he asked me what my idea of healthy was, and what my idea of toned was. He also talked to me about how its important not to focus on just the idea of losing weight, using the example in 90 days would you rather weigh what you want but look the same, or weigh the same but have the body you want? More and more I could tell Ben was a great fit to get me in the shape I wanted.
He also told me we were going to focus on one month at a time. So not to look at things too far ahead, just to look at 28 days at a time. This made me feel even more like I would be able to stick to the plan. So once we had outlined what my program was going to look like (1 one-on-one session a week with Ben, 2 group classes, and 3 days independent workout) it was time for the scary part.......measurements! 
No one likes getting their body measuring when they aren't happy with the condition its in. But its important to be able to see the results you are getting right? So Ben did a full body composition test on me. Measuring tape, that fat pincher thing, and of course...the scale. I must say, I actually felt really comfortable with him. Ben is very reassuring and encouraging so I didnt even feel self-conscious! (even though i hated all my numbers! LOL)
Then it was time to review my numbers. Ben has a program that calculates, based on the measurements, exactly how many pounds of my body is lean muscle and how much is fat. Then we talked about which numbers (i.e. legs, arms, chest) that I wanted to most see change. He asked which  I wanted to see go up and which I wanted to see go down. I said "i cant imagine wanting any of them to go up!" This information helped Ben to know what exercises we should be doing. 
Now it was time to workout! Ben told me this would be the "easiest" workout of all the ones I would do because he was just getting an idea of how I move. I had told him I was having some shoulder issues lately in addition to the neck issues I already have (i had 2 herniated discs replaced in 2006, and now another disc bulging). He was very conscious of this throughout the workout. There came one point during an exercise where I felt discomfort in my shoulder and he immediately addressed it. (we are thinking it is most likely my rotator cuff)
After the workout I could already feel my legs burning. But it was great! Finally i was feeling sore from working out, and not from just dragging my lazy ass up a flight of stairs! I am so excited about this program! Everything about it says that I will not only be able to do it, but stick with it as well. I can already feel myself making better decisions! 


Tune in to the next part about my Cardio Boot Camp class! 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Gina! Glad to hear you found a trainer you feel comfortable with. That's probably one of the biggest things holding me back right now. Cardio Boot Camp sounds intriguing...cant wait to hear how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should come withe me to Boot Camp sometime. And I swear its impossible not to feel comfortable with Ben. I love the anti-gym atmosphere. Its not like the cliche gym you expect. And its a no-judgement zone. I love it! Come with me sometime!

    ReplyDelete