Tuesday, June 14, 2011

3...2...1....Activate Body Potential! Part 3

When Ben first told me that I was going to be attending a "Cardio Boot Camp" class each Wednesday, I was nervous. When I hear the term "Boot Camp" I immediately picture some totally intimidating instructor who will yell at me if I dont work hard enough and will keep telling me to drop and give him 20. Not to mention I envisioned I would want to die after the class.
So when Wednesday came, I was having a really busy day and had some personal drama that had put me in a mood that I could have easily said "skip boot camp, I am going for margaritas." But based on the experience so far I was having with Activate Body, I decided to push myself and go to the class. 
The class was only 6 of us plus one instructor (Ben had told me they keep their classes to only a handful of people). A mix of women of different ages and one man. The instructor was also a man. And at first glance he didnt look too scary so I knew I had made the right choice in coming.
We started with some floor exercises like plank to warm up and strengthen our core. Then a few footwork drills.
Then it was on to the first circuit. With 6 people in the class there were 6 stations set up that we would each go to for 45 seconds. I know what you are thinking....45 seconds???? But thats another thing I love about Activate Body Potential. Ben told me something on day one that I will never forget. You ever notice that marathon runners arent always really thin? But sprinters always are. Thats because runners put out 70-80% energy/effort for a long stretch of time. Whereas sprinters exert 100% energy for a short period of time. They are actually burning fat more efficiently and breaking the body's desire to store fat for survival. Genius!
So, throughout the class we did each station for 45 seconds but at full effort. Then we would rest and move to the next. And let me tell you, something that may seem as simple as doing lunges for 45 seconds, can really kick your ass if you just came off doing 5 other stations. We did the full circuit twice.
Then we started a new circuit. Same concept, 45 seconds at each then move to the next one. Each of us at a different station. (And what I love is everyone was feeling the burn the same way!! Even though it was my first class I didnt feel behind the game!) The second of course seemed way harder, especially the lateral plank walks across the rope ladder on the floor. I wanted to die! 45 seconds never seemed so long! But after 2 rounds, I made it! I was dripping with sweat, and my body was sore, but I made it! It was the best feeling!!!
Then to cool down we paired up and did a circuit of 3 more exercises. Simple and calm and again for only 45 seconds.
Then we moved to mats to complete the class with some stretches. It was the perfect way to end. The hour literally flew by!
I will tell you something, especially the ladies out there. Its easy to complain about our bodies and even make excuses why we dont have time to get in shape. But at the end of a day like my boot camp day, all that mattered was that I had pushed myself. I pushed myself to go, I pushed myself to make it through, and I pushed myself to finish. The time you take for yourself isnt about being selfish. Its about how that time can make you a better person for everyone else in your life. So the next time you have a bad day, try sweating the misery out with a good fitness class. Namely, Cardio Boot Camp! Its Wednesday nights at 6:30 at Activate Body Potential. First 3 classes are free! Come kick your own ass with me! LOL
Stay tuned for more...........

No comments:

Post a Comment