Monday, February 14, 2011

Singles Weekend Recap....Part 1.

Thursday night was the annual Baltimore magazine Top Singles party. This year the event was styled as a happy hour party and was held at Talara. I took my friend Nicole (aka P-Funky) with me as my single wingwoman. Thank god for valet cause it was freezing outside! There was already a line to get in when we arrived just minutes after party start time. They definitely drew in quite the crowd! Talara is a beautiful place, but a tough venue with a crowd this size. With the way its laid out it made it tougher to make your way through the room (not many straight paths), so Nicole and I pretty much found our spot and stayed in it all night. They had a dj, and awesome drinks specials! You could do a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Malbec for $3, Coors Light bottle for $2, and awesome cosmo-esque concoction called "Pour Me S'Amore" for $5. They also had mojitos and....another drink I couldnt pronounce. Anyway, I must say for the large crowd that was there, the bartenders were on point! They had drinks up with little or no waiting time. That really impressed me and made me want to come back to Talara. 
The crowd was a range of ages, but i would say mostly 30-40s, if I had to guess. All the Top Singles from the issue were there, and had nametags so everyone could introduce themselves to them, including my new friends Tom Chan and Kathleen Pelletier. Props to those to for using their Top Single status the right way and really taking time to make their way around the room and meet people. Awesome!
I met some really fun people that night. First and foremost on my list is always a great sense of humor, and the guys I talked to were really fun. Definitely an A+ for that. One guy gave me and Nicole what he called "the test of true friendship." He asked us what shampoo the other used. Apparently Nicole looked at me to ask what I use, whereas I immediately just said "girls dont always know that!" He said a true friend looks to their friend for their answer, a not true friend just makes up an answer. So of course Nicole kept teasing me and calling me a fake friend all night! But i still stand firm that while i did just answer, I didnt make up a shampoo answer! Not the same thing! Retest! Retest! 
I met this one guy, I think his name was Bob. I teased him that I thought the invitation said "Dress to Impress" and that I wasn't impressed with his outfit. LOL. He got my humor, which was a plus. But I kinda failed on that one because he told me to come see him before I left and I didnt. Only because I had to muster through the crowd to get my parking validated. So if you are reading this, sorry Bob!
I didnt recognize many faces there, which made me wonder where these singles hang out the rest of the weekends. The answers I got were alot of them do the restaurant bar circuit, like the Prime Rib, or Oregon Grille, Roys, Flemings, etc. Interesting.
I did get some great feedback about my column though! I have to say its really fun to have total strangers come up and say that they love your column. It makes me feel really good, especially since its so new. And i love that ones that said my pic didnt do me justice. Thank you! I seriously need a retake. I hate that pic of me. Not the photographers fault of course, I just hate that pic. I look a mess.
Congrats to Bmag on a very successful event. Nicole and I didn't make any love connections that night, although I did see at least one or two guys I would've made out with.  We also noticed that either women are getting taller, their shoes are getting taller (which I'm sure is true either way), or men in Baltimore are getting shorter. Not that there is anything wrong with not being tall. It just seemed very noticeable to Nicole and I that we could see over the whole crowd. I felt kind of like Nicole Kidman.
After about 2 hours and a few cocktails Nicole and I had to head to our next engagement....a preview party for the new PBR Baltimore that's opening next month! Stay tuned for the blog about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment